It’s a bird! It’s a plane! No wait it’s just my country spying on me

You may or may not have heard about the bill approved earlier this year that approved the use of 30,000 spy drones to fly over the US.  The bill gives the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) permission to issue up to 30,000 licenses to police forces, government agencies, and private research institutions to operate spy drones in US airspace.

Obviously, the 30,000 number is a maximum, but the bill has provoked many Americans who now feel privacy has been lost.  Spy drones have been used by the US Military in the Middle East for some time now, but their mass deployment in US airspace for reconnaissance and spying on US citizens comes with some controversial decisions.

Even their use in the military has been called into question, with opposers claiming that they present an unfair advantage or inspire more terrorist activity than they detect and prevent.

So, how would you feel if sometime in the near future, you looked up in the sky and saw a shining reflection from a drone, not being able to know if its camera was focused on you or your neighbor?

7 Responses to It’s a bird! It’s a plane! No wait it’s just my country spying on me

1. ceb102 says:

I remember hearing about the approval of this bill earlier in the year and the controversy that surrounded its arrival. While technology can be extremely useful in almost every aspect of our lives, we must come to terms with the fact that it also brings about many negative aspects as well.

This drone is obviously an incredible advancement in the technology world but do the costs outweigh the benefits? Its purpose in the military field is understandable. When used in the proper context it allows us to have the upper hand and stay a step ahead of others. In my opinion there’s no such thing as having too much of an advantage when it comes to the defending of our nation and freedom, but its use within U.S. boundaries seems highly unnecessary.

The existence of these drones seems to coincide with the premise of the Patriot Act. Trying to avoid the issue of politics, I believe in small government; the less control they have the better. Between the passing of the bill pertaining to these drones and the expansion of government power resulting from the Patriot Act, it seems as though the American people are slightly losing their freedoms and privacy, a very discomforting fact indeed. There is no need to launch these drones to spy on American citizens. It impairs the morals upon which our nation was founded and contradicts everything America stands for.

2. JOHNE says:

Wow…I don’t remember hearing about this, but it doesn’t surprise me. After reading 1984 I started to think about what our government could be hiding from us. This is a lot like the Patriot Act. After the events on 9/11 many people in the United States supported the Patriot Act because they were afraid of terrorist who may have infiltrated the country. People would rather feel safe than have their rights protected.
    I am a huge proponent of protection from the government. I don’t want them listening in on what I have to say, or watch what I am doing. It is creepy and unlawful. I have the freedom of speech and to assemble peaceably. The government doesn’t need to watch me do that. I remember watching a show about government surveillance in general, including the Patriot Act, and they talked about how it was more trouble than it was worth. The one lady on the show was a former telephone interceptor and she talked about how she was forced to listen in on random conversations that were many times very private.
    There have also been court cases over the controversy of this type of government surveillance. The government put a GPS tracking device on this guys car and found that he was linked to a drug trafficking warehouse. However the GPS was placed there without a warrant, so they couldn’t prosecute him because of the fourth amendment exclusionary rule.
    I don’t understand how any of these government surveillance acts can be passed. They all seem to violate the fourth amendment especially the exclusionary rule. It basically says we have the right to privacy and that to be searched a warrant must be obtained with plausible cause, if evidence is obtained outside of the warrant it can not be used to prosecute somebody. So my point is, if the government is watching me without a warrant and I do something wrong…first no warrant then it violates my right to privacy and second they can’t use any of the evidence anyway.
    Somehow the government still gets away with it and it is our job as citizens not to turn into the citizens of Oceania. Not to let the US government become Big Brother. Not to allow these drones, wire taping, and surveillance cameras to become the telescreens.

3. McFly says:

Privacy in the United States has been a big issue for quite some time. It really started with 1984 as John said with the whole Big Brother idea. People generally don’t like other people to know their business and I think that these drones are invading people’s privacy. How do you feel when people just constantly watch over your shoulder? It feels uncomfortable and weird and people generally become irritated with you. I’m sure that the United States has their reasons such as national security, but America has prided itself on making sure that you can become your own person, so it is easy to see why people would not be okay with this.

My personal belief is that whatever you do behind your own doors is your own business and I would think that most people would agree with me. Again I agree with John that we need search warrants to search people’s homes. Why have these drones follow us when we leave our houses? I say no to the drones and that the United States should seriously consider taking a second look at this law.

4. kt_e says:

No one is ever happy, are they? These drones are PROTECTING us!! Sure, this is the final hallmark of America’s total loss of privacy, but that’s been out the door for a while now. For the virtually insignificant price we will pay, Americans will be protected by the most advanced security the world has ever seen. Most people aren’t criminals, terrorists or psychos, so that average American should be grateful that someone has an eye on those who are. Simply enough, if you aren’t doing anything wrong, why worry?

I know I’m taking a few incredible rights for granted in saying this, but I don’t really care if the government is listening or watching me. First of all, I don’t think they would anyway. I don’t believe I pose as a threat to national security. And second, even if they did have their eye on me, as long as nothing came about from the observation, they can carry on their merry way.

But when they survey and apprehend the bad guys and girls, that is when this technology will see it’s success.

5. NeoKroenig says:

First of all, I want to point out something that I laughed at in the original post.

“Unfair advantage.”

There is no such thing as an unfair advantage in war. Or life, for that matter, but war particularly. When your opponent wants you dead and the feeling is rather mutual, any concept of “Fairness” or “Even-handedness” goes out the window.

Colonial warfare was fair. They lined up troops and took turns shooting each other, exceedingly polite amid the bloodshed. The officers, however, stayed out of the way of bullets; and that was where the fairness ended.

But I digress. The concept of observation of Americans is not a new one; and though I’m opposed to being watched, the functions of these drones is something that doesn’t quite bother me. Why? Because if you do something inside, you’re fine.

Seriously. As long as you stay indoors, and not in a room made of glass, they can’t see you. That’s how the visible spectrum of light works, after all.

Of course, the whole “people that aren’t the government get to use these” thing is something a bit more iffy. Congress, not so much, but I’ve got faith in the U.S. Air Force to not abuse drones. The literal best and brightest work them, after all.

I’m a bit more torn when it comes to private institutions having them. But one thing that may or may not help ease your mind — they’re invisible to the naked eye.

Drones are well-designed enough and high enough that humans can’t see them without excellent optic aid.

6. Lee says:

I dont have any problem with this technology. If anything I endorse it! If I was somehow able to see an almost invisible spy drone in the sky above my neighborhood. I would think, good, someone is watching over making sure there inst anything bad going on. This is a really quick and easy argument.
    Do you have a problem with drones?
    No- good
    Yes- Do you have a reason hiding anything that you wouldn’t want the police/gov to see?
    No- Then it doesn’t affect you
    Yes- well, then its probably illegal and its a good thing that you are going to get caught.

There, done and done. If you have nothing to worry about, than don’t worry about it. Its only keeping you and your family safe.

7. Jordhen says:

I think privacy is a big issue with everyone. Right now I am living in a room with two other people and have absolutely no privacy whatsoever. It is probably one of the worst experiences of my life. Although I am currently hating the idea of no privacy, I do not think that governmental planes flying above us or other countries is a bad idea. The two situations are very different even though they both involve a lack of privacy.

In the case of my dorm the lack of privacy annoys me because I have no time to be by myself. In the case of the drones I am only being protected by their surveillance. Of course the planes will be recording me, watching what I am doing, or whatever they are supposed to do, but they will not be in my face, constantly in my personal bubble, touching my stuff, playing their music loudly, or talking about me behind my back. The drones are there only to protect us. They will not be interfering with our lives or even spreading our personal information. Like Lee says above it’s only a problem if you are doing something illegal. This invasion of privacy is keeping our country safe.

Comments are closed.