Why Learn Code?

=

Currently, code is very relevant to all of us in this class. We’ve been working with it for the past few weeks for our websites. Throughout this process, I’ve wondered why we should learn code.

Quite frankly, I can’t really find much of reason why to learn code.

I’m sure there are some benefits to learn code. With this knowledge of code, one would be more adept in making a website. But that’s it.

So is it really worth all the time and struggle to just learn one semi- valuable skill? I don’t think so.

Even though I plan on going into sports journalism, I don’t really see me having to make too many websites in the future. And even if I do, there’s still plenty of people quite adept in working with code that can do it for me.

One might say that this is a weak excuse, as there’s people in the world that can be payed to do any task for you. But learning code just seems to be particularly devoid of value. There’s just very few professions that require one to work with code constantly.

Admittedly, I can say my views are bit jaded on the subject. I’ve struggled with this project, and have now grown to hate code. But regardless of these struggles, I just can’t help but thinking that learning code is useless.

13 Responses to Why Learn Code?

1. esf17 says:

It’s good to know that I have company in our class with those who have grown tired and frustrated of the coding process we have to do for our website. For a little while there, I felt as though I was the only one hating every minute of the coding and HTML process, but it’s good to know that some of my peers are going to be celebrating right with me once this project is complete! At first, I was not quite sure why we had to learn coding, especially since I see myself going into a professional field without the need to make website, but I assume it is a vital skill to learn in today’s age of technology. Since you want to go into sports journalism, I would be hard pressed to find it necessary for you to use coding in your profession, and like you said you could always hire a code expert to do the technical work for you.
    I don’t about you, but the website project has been very time consuming for me and it has hindered my ability to do work for my other classes. I am fortunate enough though that I had some resources to use in order to get me through this project, but I feel as though coding should only be taught to those who are engineers or pursuing a career in the computer science field. Hopefully, we can get through this assignment unscathed.

2. nickf77 says:

I think the required coding isn’t so much so that you know how to build websites in the future, because most of us won’t ever need to do that, but rather to simply know how they work. If you know the behind-the-scenes details of how something works, then when you use it, you’ll get more out of it.

For example, learning how to build a combustion engine probably wouldn’t benefit many of our future career paths, but we’ll all drive cars in our lives and knowing how its engine works will likely give you a slight advantage in driving because you’ll be able to know exactly when the engine’s running efficiently. You’ll also be able to troubleshoot it if something goes wrong.

The same goes for HTML coding. You’ll interact with websites all the time in your future. Knowing what goes into them and how they work having been on the design side of them, you’ll be able to appreciate the work that goes into them, you’ll know where to look quicker for something (e.g. having designed a menu, you’ll instantly know where the most logical place to look for a menu is). And if something goes wrong and a page doesn’t load on a website you’re on, you have a better chance of fixing the problem than someone who has never heard of HTML.

Here’s an example: Someone gives you a link to a website – “www.website.com/folder/page.ht”. The link doesn’t work. Now you know that they forgot the “ml” at the end of it and you can fix it, but if HTML wasn’t drilled into you, you might have never known that. Random example, but you get the point. 95% of us won’t build another website in our lives, but we’ll always use them, and knowing how they work does nothing but help us.

3. Jordhen says:

I completely agree with you. Although I do think learning some of the basics of code should be an option open to those that interested in it.

We have been discussing and reading articles in class on the importance of learning code in today’s society and, like you, I just don’t see the point in being forced to do it. Currently, I am a psych major. I do not think I will be in need of knowing how to use html in my future career. I could be wrong but as of now it’s not looking pretty promising. And from my experience with html in this class I have only experienced stress and despair with it. If someone wants to and is willing to learn coding more power to them.

Technology is becoming a huge part of our futures and learning html could possibly benefit but how? If I am not looking to be a computer programmer or gamer or something like that how would it benefit me? Like you said in your argument there is most likely someone out there that can do it for me if I absolutely need to do it. Sure it is a good skill to have to impress people if you are constantly surrounded by people that are interested in coding, but I should not be forced to learn it if i do not want to.

4. Miss Jackson says:

I too struggled with code, but I do not think that learning it was a complete waste of time. Because it was difficult to understand, I got even more of a sense of accomplishment when I finished my website. I think that people tend to think that code is useless to those who do not work in web design because the world we live in has become obsessed with efficiency. Our society has become so wrapped up in only learning how to do things that are useful, instead of just learning things for the beauty and sake of learning.

Also, although you may think that learning code is useless now, it may become very valuable to know and understand in the future. As you already know, technology is constantly changing and becoming more advanced. As this happens, I think that the people in our society are going to have to learn things like code in order to keep up with the advances being made in technology. The same idea can be seen in learning how to type. When typing first came out, some people probably thought that learning how to type would not be all that useful to them.

We now know that this is not the case. As the world of technology continued to grow and our world moved into a world that is basically ran by computers, typing and knowing how to use a keyboard became a necessity. I will even go so far as to say that those who do not know how to type are at a disadvantage. I think that the same will be true of code. As our society continues to rely more on technology, learning code will become a necessity and those who do not know how to use it will be left in the dust.

5. JOHNE says:

I have mixed feeling about writing code. At first I was totally against it for many of the same reasons. I was confused on why we were doing this in a seminar and composition class. I never looked at code as a form of writing. I thought to myself, I will never have to use this and it is not something I want to invest my time in. When I started typing my first code I could never get anything to work the way I thought. I got so frustrated at points I would quit. I always thought that if I ever needed a website I would pay somebody who could make a website way better than I ever could.

That being said, I understand why it is important to understand code. We need to know at least how code works so we don’t fall into “technological somnambulism”. As I have gone through I have slowly figured out how to get the code to do what I want. It makes me feel empowered that I overcame my struggles and produced something that I can be proud of. Coding is a continuous learning process because there is always more you can do to a website.

6. McFly says:

I think that in the future, it is important to learn for kids to learn how to write code, because in the future years, computers will become even more integrated into our world and I think that its important for children to stay ahead of the times and keep control over the ever evolving world we live in. I just think that code is going to become more essential in the future.

I’m taking a programming class this semester and I don’t think I’ve ever had to work so hard to pass a class. Code is like learning a new language with math involved and it is incredibly hard. Chinese kids learn English as soon as possible and that is their foreign language that is essential to learn. I think coding needs to be taught at a young age to truly be effective. You can learn it at an older age, but I believe for it to truly be effective it needs to be taught at a younger age and could potentially replace classes at school such as an art class. It can be an optional class at first but I think it will be worked into the school system.

7. tchumphrey says:

I think code is something important for us to learn. I understand that many of us won’t really need it in the future and if we do, we can hire people to create a website for us, but I think it’s beneficial.

Of course I’m not a pro at code. When we were assigned this project, I was completely lost. I spent so much time trying to set up my server and it would never work! I struggled so much, and then my project was deleted because my flash drive broke. Having to restart and setup the folders again allowed me to actually learn what I was doing, rather than just following a list of instructions on a sheet. When I was able to do this myself, I was extremely proud of myself. I would have never gotten the feeling of accomplishment if I hadn’t learned code.

I also think it’s important in case your job in the future forces you to have a webpage (which most do). Whether you’re a business man, Realtor, teacher, or doctor, odds are, you’ll need a website that explains who you are and what your company is in order to market yourself. Most will hire a web designer to do this for them, which is understandable, as they have knowledge to make the website more presentable, but if you knew some code and could recognize things in the code, you could update your profile yourself. Whether you’d be adding another paragraph if you just achieved something or received an award, you want to link your page to another, or you want to personalize it by adding a recent picture, you could do this on your own time without having to pay for a designer.

8. ceb102 says:

I can’t seem to choose a side I agree with more. I see both sides of the argument and the validity of each point. I must admit, I too have grown very tired of all the coding. It’s petty and troublesome. Every little detail counts and just when everything finally pulls together, something else goes wrong. I’ve found it frustrating on numerous occasions in dealing with the specifics of each paragraph, heading, font size, etc.

For a while I didn’t see the purpose in learning code. I thought to myself “Well I’m not an engineering or computer programming major, so what’s the point?” Now that we have been able to witness it in all of its glory, I understand the purpose of coding a little bit better. While it can be annoying and troublesome, it is also a great skill to possess. It gives us the power to transform from consumers to producers. We obtain a unique set of skill that not everyone is capable of adhering to.

I felt a huge sense of accomplishment when I visited my site online and witnessed all of my hard work visible to the public. I even felt more independent, knowing I could do something that is decently complicated without someone having to hold my hand the whole way through.

Although coding causes for a lot of issues initially, once you have a basic knowledge of it, it can come in handy. I’m always fascinated by the complexity of all the websites I visit throughout the day and now that I have the capability to make something along those lines, I feel accomplished and proud.

9. C_R_C says:

I know that learning code might not be everyone’s idea of a good time, but I think that learning it represents a concept bigger than just making a website. Remember the quote from Henry David Thoreau that we had to write about on the first day of class? “Men have become the tools of their tools,” could not be truer when referencing how we normally interact with the internet. Look at how we use Facebook and Twitter. We feel compelled to fill these technologies with our personal information, and share with the entirety of the internet some of most mundane thoughts on a regular basis. In return for all that work in creating your online profile, what do these services grant you? We work harder to create and manage these technologies than they help us.

Learning how to build a website is a way to fight back against this concept in regards to the internet. When you create a webpage from nothing but what is essentially a blank text document, you are in control of everything, from both the work it takes to create and what values you are able to draw from it. You are no longer a slave to something like a social media service, but rather the surveyor of a personalized space were only you can decide its form.

Of course, there’s always Winner’s argument about “technological somnambulism”. We sleepwalk through web content on a scale unparalleled by another other single technology. Billions of web pages are accessed daily by billions of people, and complex web services like YouTube and Facebook are used without a single thought as to what makes them “tick”. Again, learning HTML is a method “waking up”. When you build the content from scratch, it gives you a full understanding about how it works at both the ground level and on the front-end. Even though learning how to write code might not be your cup of tea, you can’t deny that the experience has given you a greater understanding and a feeling of empowerment over web content.

10. Pingback: Jeremy’s Blog Portfolio » Technology and Culture