Occupy Wall Street

Consensus

In our previous class we brushed over the topic of Occupy Wall Street. I believe it came up because we were talking about the power of the internet and how it has aided revolutions around the world. I have attached to a link that I came across while looking into OWS, and it is one that really helped my understanding of the protest. Many news reporters and articles have implicated that the protesters are rallying simply to cause a scene, are nothing but hippies and bums, and don’t have any set issues or points. Consensus completely floored me and my view on OWS.

The protesters are fighting for direct democracy and elimination of the hierarchical stance of big business and the little opportunities it provides for middle/lower class citizens. I found it increasingly ironic how the protesters were able to form such a successful and well run government – almost proving their point by just simply functioning on Wall Street. You can see in the video that people of all ages, backgrounds, and financial situations are able to work together and incorporate every person’s voice. Voices were magnified by others, and a whole language of hand gestures were used to express opinions in a non-violent and non-interruptive way. Everything that the OWS community does is based around hearing everyone’s stance. I do agree and admire their efforts, because that’s what our government should be like: every person matters.

The entire movement as a whole enthralls me. As students, the economy has an enormous effect upon our education and future. These are things we should be concerned and educated about – revolutions are occurring across the world whether via internet or magnifying voices. Changes are being made and they’re being done in the calmest of ways!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Occupy Wall Street

  1. marsonze says:

    I watched the video and it actually made me take a different perception on the subject topic from EL7. I understand their anger in not finding jobs or wanting to close the upper class to lower class gap, but what I don’t understand is how that is Wall Street’s fault. You can argue that there is greediness amongst the corporations, which is true but you can’t forget about the revenue and jobs that they bring into the economy as well. It is really spectacular to see how people can come together for a cause but when they put blame on other companies or individuals, that’s where I find a problem.

    It saddens me to look around and see the loss of what America used to be. What happened to the idea that Americans were “I can do it myself” kind of people? Coming from a mother who was completely financially independent from her family at age 18, who worked three jobs while getting her college degree and who graduated early tells me that people are just plain lazy. If the people in the Occupy Wall Street movement have a problem with democracy and hierarchy then how is storming the streets a solution? Can they not attend town meetings or functions with their state representatives? I have spoken directly to my state representative about issues I had with his communication to the public.

    Instead of focusing on the problems, they need to focus on the solution. They are showing that people can come together for a common good, which they can expand upon to fix the issues. This problem cannot be solved nearly by focusing on America’s financial institutions; they must also address the failure of the political institutions. Many of these protestors are over looking the fact that the decline that we saw was due to political cronyism. OWS is right in one sense; Americans need to wake up.

  2. bennydog15 says:

    Interestingly, I was just discussing Occupy Wall Street with my friend who goes to school at NYU. I was shocked by what he told me. Apparently in the news, the media has been dumbing down what it actually going on over there. At one of the gatherings my friend went to, there were at least 30,000 people in the streets. He saw cops beating and shoving people. And what makes that worse is that the crowds have been generally compliant. In a video he took of the action, cops kept shoving more and more people against a fence till they were all completely smooshed, and when no more people could possibly fit into that space, they still continued to shove.
    I admire the protestors’ determination to keep this a nonviolent demonstration. I think it shows great restraint and wisdom. I also admire what they stand for. Like you said “the protesters are fighting for direct democracy and elimination of the hierarchical stance of big business.” This is something that America has struggled with for a long time, especially now. It’s just not right what that 1% is doing to the rest of us 99%. This protest is definitely much needed.

  3. Pingback: Final Blog Portfolio » Making / Hacking / Composing